My two biggest challenges regarding these critters are: my inability to squish large bugs, and the sheer number of them here. As for my first challenge, I generally let Sam handle the squishing responsibilities (unless they are smaller bugs- I can handle those). I have yet to squish a large cockroach. Those things are huge and I just don't think I can handle the crunch (yet)!
My second challenge is in regards to the number of critters. They are everywhere!! Not only have I seen cockroaches on my countertops and floors, but there is evidence to their subsisting in my cupboards. Not to mention numerous lizards that have raced across our floor and stuffed themselves under our stove. I have seen 2 mice and countless droppings. We cohabitate with ants as well...they are in our bathrooms, our living room, our kitchen...really almost every room in our house. I even showered with a few last night. Bugs also live in the flour and rice. This is a normal occurrence here and you just sift them out. But it's a big gross factor for me that I am having to work through. I have my bug radar on every time I cook and bake, just in case! So, as you can see, I am living with a lot of bugs. They are a constant in my life here.
Now, on the other hand, God's creativity with bugs is captivating. Numerous times we have been hunched over an insect, inspecting it closely and held in awe. Take yesterday for example...there were ants on my counter. Normally, I would exercise mass genocide over the creatures. However, there was this one ant who was carrying away a giant piece of tuna. I was completely amazed at the weight he was able to carry. So, as I stood there in my amazement, I decided to let the little guy live and off he went with his supper.
Here are some of the creepy crawlies and cool creatures we have seen up close and personal:
I don't think I will ever think cockroaches are cool...they just plain gross me out
Checking out the leftover crumbs
Hey God, why a cockroach?
Here is a frog carcass...pretty cool to see up close. At one point, there were four dead frog carcasses in various stages of decay laying around our yard. Elaka, the dog, loved to throw them up in the air and play with them.
While in Malindi, Kenya in June, we came across these giant millipieds. Very cool and very gigantic.
Here is a large grasshopper on a screen outside my office window...I must confess that this guy looks much bigger in the picture than he actually is. But still, he is rather large and so fascinating to look at.
Some kind of green bug...
I liked this fly's huge bulging orange eyes...
This moment was a teachable one: check your shoes for spiders before you put them on
These monkeys were also in Malindi, Kenya...we had some outside our hotel room and one even tried to come in when I had the balcony door open! It was shooed away with some firm "no's" and the threat of being pummeled with my diaper bag. Still cute though.
Talia found herself a prayer partner! There are lots of Praying Mantises here!
Talia found herself a prayer partner! There are lots of Praying Mantises here!
Sam was able to get a picture of one in the prayer pose...
5 comments:
Oh my. You are about the bravest woman in the whole world.
You braver than I.....the thought of having to live with bugs all the time....ick!!!
Hi Sam & Dawn! What great pictures, and what interesting company you keep. ;) Love reading about your journey.
Amazing!! LOVE your sense of humor about it all!! You are definitely braver than me also!! Great pictures!! We love reading the blogs and seeing the pictures!! They were outstanding!! for- warned is for- armed for when we come!!!:):) Should we bring a baseball bat for the cockroaches when we come!!:) Love you all so much and continual prayer for you all!!
I got goosebumps just looking at the pictures. The hair on my head stood up like I'd just rubbed a balloon on it. Hmm, well done, and ick, and God Bless you guys. I enjoy reading about your adventures. Dan Common
Post a Comment